Sunday, October 07, 2007

U.S. Soil



Back on the ground in the U S of A....and honestly, I believe I kissed the ground when I went running tonight. It's not that my experience was ugly, or painful by any means, but what I truly did realize is that I am blessed...blessed to be living in such a beautiful city, have an amazing job that I truly enjoy, friends that bring me sugar-free hazelnut non-fat cafes and really freedom. Flying in a small jet today, I was bouncing around in my seat. The actor type reading his wanna-be script was sitting next to me looking annoyed and I just looked at him and said..."do you know how spectacular San Diego is," and he rolled his eyes. With that, I smiled and laughed and said, "guess not...oh, and good luck with that role...I'm sure you'll be great."

My last few days were a pleasant surprise given that I was ready to go home. Experienced a flamenco show which was very cultural...it wasn't just visitors at the show we went to, but all types of locals that waited months to hear the guitarist, the singer, and the dancer on stage...one of the best. The music was heart-stopping, and the dancing was so overfilled with movement, I was frightened to walk out of the there without the passion I experienced inside.

Anyhow, I do already miss some of the people I met, but mostly the history. On the other hand, I am sooooo thankful to be home....to be going back to a job that I adore (unlike most the people I met there), and really, to hear loved voices... I thought I realized before how lucky I was, but not until now, do I realize that life is exactly how it should be...the cancelled flights, the unknown destinations, the continuous sunsets that seem to happen to fast, the beautiful cultures and people, and ultimately, the salt from the tears I shed because life is miraculous...even when everything you want goes wrong. Looking back, it was all the plan.

Scanning San Diego like it is within all of us and rejoicing in its beauty...

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The talent you possess both in your writing and photography skills is amazing. Even though I haven't physically been to any of the places you wrote about, I now feel that in some ways I have. Thank you for the journey!

12:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bets, your photography is beyond amazing. You are able to capture the history behind images and the souls within individuals. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your talents. Keep dreaming and exploring the world...and sharing your talents with us!

7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is that first photo of? It's spectacular.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Betsy Blue said...

The first photo was taken ast the Reales Alcazares, or Royal Fortress in Sevilla. It was originally a Moslem fortress, but than transformed to a palace in 1258. The picture is of an underground mosque.

Glad you liked it. Betsy

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have done some amazing things but keep it up life is to short and welcome back.

4:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Betsy, everything you do is amazing...you truly are a gifted person. Glad you're back!

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Betsy - You embody joie de vivre! Your willingness to explore with such abandon is a quality many dream of having. I really hope you compile a photojournalism book. Because the way your words and pictures compliment each other is worthy of a visit from eyes the world over!

12:34 PM  
Blogger Peyton Robertson said...

Betsy,

Thank you for sharing. I have been to some of the same places and your experiences remind me of them and of things that are truly important. I can approach my Monday with clearer outlook! Thanks for your inspiration-

8:03 PM  
Blogger PK's Blog said...

The photos are amazing. I like the hillsides the best. I don't know why you work where you do when you could do so much better as a PJ.

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home