Thursday, November 13, 2008

Beyond the Ocean




Sometimes I look out beyond the ocean and just wonder what is happening in other realms of the world that actually relate to me. Is there a family in China looking for food? Or some street kid in Rio trying to figure out how to fight his way to life? Is some couple in Paris getting engaged while admiring the Eiffel tower…


The other day, I was driving my two miles from work to home. Most of the time I’d just quickly look over to the ocean and ‘make sure’ it was still there, but whatever the reason, I was so mesmerized that I had to pull over without intention. (Usually I would regretfully head to the gym to get it done before I headed home).


I sat there, on the beach, with my iPod and my yoga clothes on-board, right next to the ocean. Listening to the background noise and serene music playing in my ear drums and smelling the salt breeze, tears fell slowly down my face. No one gave me permission, and I’m not sure I would have been able to wait for any…


It could have been the seasons changing (as much as they could possibly change in San Diego), or feeling that the learning tools makes me feel like I’m ALWAYS trying to catch up in this world today, or just simply and plainly because I felt like crying.


I have a lens pointing at the world with so many images constantly flashing through my head. I look at myself and wonder how and what I am doing that could actually compare to the international world surrounding me. Is my two-step journey going to really matter to the Italian family picking their grapes for the upcoming season, or to the soy luck club out there in east Africa? Here’s the crux of the matter: when people change their mind about something… whether it is looking at other cultures, or looking internally, there is a natural state of wonder. That wonder is inevitably going to make you explore your feelings and other point of views allowing persuasion to occur.


Ultimately, that is me. I want to relate. I also want to persuade and pursue these snippet experiences that make me question if what I am doing could be enhanced by incorporating other culture influence into my own. Japanese, Brazilian, Israeli, Czech, Italian, Spanish, Mexican…bring it on. I’m ready.


By the way, I think I have a new muse….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home