Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Find a Deeper Relationship with A Craft


Whether it is doing hair, painting, or inserting a hole in a box with taped film to capture an image, we all have a creative string inside.

Tonight, I heard myself say to an artist at an exhibit that “I enjoy photography,” instead of saying what I know in my heart to be true which is that “I heart photography with all my might and want to run away with my camera to different parts of the world capturing images and expressing my authenticity.”

Why didn’t I say that? Why don’t I spend my time nurturing my craft? The lazy excuse we use is that everyone has a craft now so what makes mine unique…

The artist looked at me and studied me like a dog that didn’t quite understand exactly what I was doing or even thinking. When she suddenly spoke, her words said “You have to find that area in your photography where you can mold it to your own and what you believe without making it like all the others. I can tell you are an artist, now just find a deeper relationship with your craft.”

As I walked away, my eyes opened to the charms all around me. I was off to new creative horizons…






And just a few more photos I've taken that make me happy...






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home