Friday, January 23, 2009

The Perfect Star

When I was little, I tried to draw the perfect star. Every time I had a moment of freedom, I would whip out my pen and draw those five lines so each open space would be equal. It wasn’t until today, almost 30-years-old, did I realize that it doesn’t matter.

As I sat there at my desk with one piece of paper, my phone on speaker, and a pen, I doodled. At the time, I didn’t realize I was doodling because of course I should have been paying attention. But when I finished with my conference call, I looked down and saw the absolute perfect star I’ve ever drawn. Guess what? It wasn’t perfect. It was so far away from perfect, it made me break into hysterical laughter and my office mate thought I was crazy. To me, I realized that my obsession to make things ‘perfect’ had nothing to do with that star, but more to do with making it accommodate to my being and atmosphere. The un-connecting lines and slanted curves finally made it perfect in my eyes.I took the time to realize...IT IS NOT ABOUT ME.

It begs the question though…do we expect that life will end up as perfectly as we predict? Do we wish a white wedding with 500 guests and 10+ bridesmaids? Did we think that we’d become a millionaire by the time we were 30? Have we succeeded in what we thought we would achieve at this age?

Probably not. The only reason why I say that is because our generation is so beyond these thoughts... yet, should we be worried? It is imperative to have goals. It is important to protect what you’ve worked so hard to build and achieve. But…if those visions fill up your 'gallery' and don’t work out, you can still color outside the lines and it will still work out. God works in ways that we humans can’t quite understand. The very best quality output may only bring you minimum return.

All and all, here's my advice to you. Realize and live your passion, not your warped dream into reality. Don’t expect that things will be granted to you. Expect that things will be the way you look at them. Broken star or perfect, it is all your perspective and you have the power to precede.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perfection is all perspective...

It's nice to see you writing more frequently here.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Betsy Blue said...

Ahh...thanks Sara. It's nice to be writing more.

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home